Sunday 7 June 2015

Learning with toddlers

I see a lot of posts online now which say they have fantastic ideas for teaching your toddler to read, write, count etc, but I'm not sure how I feel about these. Surely this age should be allowed to play and learn as and when they're ready, not have it sneakily forced on them? I'm no saying I want my daughter to be illiterate when she starts school, far from it, but I want her to learn in the best way for her, and personally I feel that involves play. My daughter likes colouring and counting but in her own way. Educational games do not interest her at all. Originally I was a little worried but now I know she'll do it when she's ready.

2 comments:

Louise H said...

Only just read this post but just wanted to let you know how much I agree. Mine are all at Secondary School now (and doing well). I am a teacher but felt like I had somehow let them down by not having them reading, writing and adding up by the time they were 4.
Mine spent those pre-school years playing in the garden, building train tracks, painting (themselves mainly!) and doing whatever else they wanted. There are plenty of years ahead of work - let them enjoy this time. You are so right that they will do the work when they are ready.

Louise

stephanie said...

There's so much pressure from other mums and social media. Children in Sweden don't start school until 7 and they're not under developed!